|The Challenge of 21st Century"
----Natural Energy & Sustainability----
|" Tachi Kiuchi, The Future 500, October 18, 2005|
1. The energy question has become the key issue in both developed and developing countries.
4. By the year 2060, the entire GDP of the world will not suffice to cover the claims resulting from environmental damage.
6. Today's economy and energy policy are on their last legs.
7. We have all the necessary technologies we need for the changes to solar energy. It is the matter of alternative.
8. There is no future for the mankind without ecology.
9. We are the first generation of the homo sapience which has lost its instinct of survival.
10. In a single day, we consume as much oil, gas and coal as nature created in 1,500 years.
11. The change to solar energy must take place within the next 50 years in order for us to escape from the greenhouse effect.
12. Environmental policy of renewable energy means peace policy in a double sense: peace with the nature and peace between the peoples and societies.
13. Solar energy has created all animals, plants and man-made structures on the earth.
14. There are 10 million to 30 million species on the earth and people identified 1.7 million of them with names.
15. So far, 2 million species have extinguished and we have today once again wiped from the face of the planet 100 to 150 species of animals and plants. Annually we lose about 50 thousand species.
16. During 1990 to 2020, we anticipate 5 to 15% of species to disappear.
17. In the past, there were only 10 to 100 species to disappear every year with the average of 5, but today the speed of specie extinction is 100 to 1,000 times faster.
18. Without plants and animals people could not exist.
19. We cannot change the laws of nature.
20. We creats 30,000 hectares of supplementary desert every day.
21. Without alternative, this would mean the end of all life.
22. War about oil or peace through the sun.
23. Oil and gas mean: Limited energy for a limited period.
24. The sun is the only source of income that this world has.
25. The sun gives us 15,000 times more energy than all 6.3 billion people use at present.
26. Solar energy means no cost for the next four and a half billion years.
27. Solar energy means peace and no environmental destruction.
28. In order to use solar energy efficiently, technology development is necessary.
29. The sun can never be a cause of war. The sun has a built-in safety system --- its distance of 150 million kilometers from the earth.
30. EU in 2004, 93-94% of energy were from oil, gas, coal and nuclear.
31. EU in 2050, it is realistic to have 100% of energy comes from renewable energy sources --- sun, wind, water and biomass, if the five conditions are met:
32. Energy scenario of EU in 2050:
33. Farmers will have a secure future, producing both organic food and organic energy.
34. Shell Oil scenario of EU:
35. 30 year history of Denmark after energy policy was established.
36. Peace through the sun which guarantees the world to be renewable with sound ecology.
37. We must nurture ecological ethics/ecological responsibility.
38. Renewable energies offer more than what we need:
39. Renewable energy with education can overcome hunger in the world.
40. What is needed is our determination to solve the critical issue of North and South.